The term “Goal Setting” commonly evokes reactions ranging from utter fear and dread, to eye rolling and annoyance. Why? Because there is a right way and (many) wrong ways to set goals. These 5 steps will help you set goals that make sense, are achievable, beneficial and effective!
- SET PRACTICAL GOALS. See our post about setting SMARTER goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-based, Evaluated, and Reviewed). Setting practical goals doesn’t mean your goals shouldn’t be challenging. They SHOULD challenge and stretch you so you can reach your potential. But that needs to be balanced and in check with reality. Follow the “SMARTER” steps to help you set the bar at the right height.
- MAP IT OUT. Once you have decided on a goal, think about the practical steps it will take to get you there. What are the action steps that need to be taken in order to accomplish the goal? Now put those steps in order and space them out to realistically fit into your busy life!
- WRITE IT DOWN. Keep record. Track it. When you make goals, be sure to not only write it down, but also note the steps it will take to accomplish your goal, with corresponding target dates. You can then track your progress which helps you stay on track and motivated!
- KEEP IN CHECK. Staying on task is always easier with the help of a support system. What does that look like for you? A mentor? A spouse or family member(s)? Co-worker or supervisor? Friends? It’s important to be supported, encouraged, and accountable.
- REWARD YOURSELF. Us fans of the hit show, Parks and Rec are all saying “Treat Yo Self!” That’s right! Not because it’s a randomly selected day of the year, however. But because you’ve earned it! And not just for reaching the ultimate goal, but allow yourself small indulgences for each step you accomplish. (note: don’t reward yourself with things that work against your goal. For example, if your goal is to lose 15 lbs, maybe a new shirt or tickets to an event would be better than a hot fudge sundae…)
Setting goals should not be a dreadful task, but an exciting and rewarding one! Healthy goal-setting is motivating and all around healthy as it sets you on the path to reaching your full potential!
If you’re looking for guidance, Stretch Strategic Leadership is flush with great resources and tools! Contact us today for more information!CONTACT US